FAQ - Certification
Frequently asked questions about practitioner and instructor certification can be found below:
- Who can become a certified Practitioner?
- When must one renew his/her practitioner or instructor certification?
- What do I do if my certification has lapsed?
- Is there a late fee for submitting packets after their renewal date?
- How do I find a Mentor and/or Qualified Mentor?
- What are the differences in Level 5 Homework and Certification Packet?
- Who can become a certified Instructor?
- Can I renew my Instructor Certification and Practitioner certification at the same time?
- As an Instructor, must I renew my Instructor and Practitioner Certification at the same time?
- Where do I find instructions on how to fill out my certification application?
- Who reviews the Certification Packets?
- How does the Healing Touch Certification Review Panel function?
- When are certification packets reviewed?
- What is the certification panel review process and the timeframe?
- If I have questions about the packet, whom do I contact?
- If I have questions about an application, whom do I contact?
- What is the appeal or grievance process for adverse certification decisions?
- Is there a Policy and Procedure for misconduct in the certification process of Healing Touch Certification?
- I am a CHTP and wish to become a HTCP. How do I go about this?
Who can become a certified Practitioner?
Certification as a Healing Touch Practitioner is open to all students who have satisfactorily completed Levels 1-5 of the Healing Touch Program (HTP) coursework and received a Certificate of Course Completion. Certification is an appropriate goal for all who wish to establish a Healing Touch practice or incorporate Healing Touch as a focus within an existing practice.
Certification is intended for the competent practitioner and requires a professional level of development. It is anticipated that individuals approach certification with preparation and work experiences that have contributed to his/her awareness of the concepts of energetic healing, confidentiality, ethics, and client/practitioner relationship.
When must one renew his/her practitioner or instructor certification?
Renewal of the credentials for certification is on a timeline of every five years. Applications shall be submitted 30 days prior to the expiration date of the original document of certification award and every 5 years thereafter within 30 days prior to the expiration date.
What do I do if my certification has lapsed?
If you have let your HTCP certification lapse, you can submit a renewal packet for up to 2 years past your expiration date. All information must be completed and continuation education hours must be current within the previous 6 year period. After 2 years post lapsing of certification, it is required that you repeat level 1-3 Healing Touch Program classes to update your knowledge of the program in addition to the competition of the renewal packet. If certification has lapsed more than 5 years the practitioner will need to re-certify using a new practitioner certification packet.
Is there a late fee for submitting packets after their renewal date?
Yes. Starting September 1, 2012 there will be a late fee for all packets sent in after their renewal date. Packets must be received online or post marked by your renewal date to avoid the late fee. This fee is in addition to the standard renewal application fee .
How do I find a Mentor and/or Qualified Mentor?
Mentors and Qualified Mentors (QM) can be found through the Healing Touch Practitioner Directory. The last item in the search menu is “Mentor Status”. Use the drop down menu to search for either Qualified Mentor or Mentor.
What are the differences in Level 5 homework requirements and certification requirements?
The general differences are included in this downloadable chart. You should work with your QM to make sure that the certification packet is completed correctly.
Who can become a certified Instructor?
A Healing Touch Certified Practitioner (HTCP) may be eligible for Healing Touch Instructor certification. It is recommended that the applicant have at least one year of practice as a Healing Touch Certified Practitioner before application. The applicant must meet admission standards for Level 6 Training.
The applicant needs to submit the Level 6 Training Application, satisfactorily complete Level 6 Training and meet all other requirements outlined in this package before submitting an application to become a Healing Touch Certified Instructor.
Can I renew my Instructor Certification and Practitioner certification at the same time?
Yes. Use the Instructor Certification Renewal packet and follow the instructions in the packet. The criteria in the Practitioner Certification Renewal application are included in the Instructor Certification Renewal. Consequently, the Instructor Renewal Application may be used to renew both certifications at the same time. Please make note in your application that you are using the application for both Instructor and Practitioner Certification Renewal.
Practitioner Renewal and Instructor Renewal certificates will be issued at the same time based on approval of the Healing Touch Certification Review Panel. Future certification renewal for both practitioner and instructor certification will then occur on the same date, 5 years from the date of instructor/practitioner renewal.
As an Instructor, must I renew my Instructor and Practitioner Certification at the same time?
No - This is an optional choice. You may continue to submit separate renewal packets if you desire. See the Instructor Renewal webpage for example scenarios.
Where do I find instructions on how to fill out my certification application?
Complete instructions are given in the individual application. These can be downloaded on the webpage for the application you are interested in completing.
Who reviews the Certification Packets?
Certification packets are reviewed by at least two members of the Certification Review Panel. Applications are evaluated based upon completion of all requirements outlined for the appropriate credential standards. Certification approval is at the sole discretion of the Certification Review Panel.
How does the Healing Touch Certification Review Panel function?
The Certification Review Panel members are Healing Touch Certified Instructors with experience and commitment to Healing Touch. Panel members are chosen by the Chair and Vice Chair of the Review Panel. Panel participants are Instructors in good standing who have been successful and actively teaching or practicing Healing Touch for a minimum of 2 years.
When are certification packets reviewed?
Application review for first-time practitioner certification is done 4 periods per year, February, May, August and November. Practitioner applications must be received by the first day of the month of the review period if submitting digitally or post marked by the first of the month if submitting by mail. Instructor certification, renewal and practitioner renewal applications are accepted at anytime.
What is the certification panel review process and the timeframe?
The certification process involves a number of steps. Every effort is made to keep you informed as your application moves through the certification review process.
- Packet is received and a confirmation email is sent.
- Packet is assigned to two reviewers on the certification panel.
- Each reviewer reviews packet, one after another, and then report back to the certification administrator.
- Applicant is notified of accepted or pending status.
- If accepted a certificate is printed and sent to the applicant.
- If the status is returned as pending, the applicant is notified of the nature of the pending status and requests are made to remedy the application.
- After receiving the additional or corrected material from the applicant, the packet is returned to the reviewers as in item 3 above.
- Final notification will be sent after receiving the results from the review panel.
If I have questions about an application or the packet, whom do I contact?
What is the appeal or grievance process for adverse certification decisions?
The HTC Certification Appeals document outlines the process. Click here for the HTC Certification Appeals document.
Is there a Policy and Procedure for misconduct in the certification process of Healing Touch Certification?
Yes. The Healing Touch Program Discipline, Non Discrimination, and Confidentiality
Policy and Procedure establishes the discipline process for violations of the Scope of Practice, Code of Ethics, or Misconduct including misconduct in the certification process of Healing Touch Certification. Click here for this document.
I am a CHTP and wish to become a HTCP. How do I go about this?
If you are an existing certified practitioner (CHTP), that was certified prior to January 1, 2009, you are eligible to become registered with Healing Touch Program and receive the credential of Healing Touch Certified Practitioner (HTCP). Registration for this status with Healing Touch Program requires the following.
- Submit a Healing Touch Certification Renewal Application (HTP-934) (see Practitioner Certification Renewal on this website)
- Include a copy of your current practitioner certification certificate with the above application (HTP-934)
- Take the Healing Touch Certfied Practitioner Entry Level Proficiency Exam (see Accreditation on this website)
- Once your application and test are complete you will receive a letter and certificate acknowledging your credential of Healing Touch Certified Practitioner (HTCP).